Monday 23 February 2009

The Modern Man

Is there really such a thing as the modern man? I’ve been researching this the only way I know how, asking all my girlfriends if a) he exists, b) do they have one, c) or have they met one? The resounding answer is no! So I got to thinking, what is the definition of a modern man? My research was extensively carried out in a thorough and professional manner (ok I admit it was a room full of women, several bottles of wine and a takeaway – food and drink is an ingenious incentive)! We concluded that our perception (as women) of the modern man is one that sees the relationship as an equal partnership, contributes equally towards the raising of the children, their relationship, and the home. So what would this look like in our everyday lives? No more picking up of dirty socks and underpants from the bathroom floor (because our modern man would take responsibility for his own belongings). The children wouldn’t be hungrily waiting for us to return home because “Dad didn’t know what you were making for dinner” as a tasty nutritious meal would be waiting for us when we got in. There wouldn’t be any excuses thought up for not doing housework (“I don’t know how that hoover works, it’s too technical for me” is a common one (despite the fact that they’ve just spent hours wiring up the latest playstation or installing surround sound speakers). The modern man would appreciate his wife and all that she contributes for her family, he would know that it’s the little things that count, running a bath for his wife/partner, offering to make the children’s lunches, taking the time to ask how her day went. He would know what days the kid’s have football, netball, swimming and he wouldn’t need a map to find his way around his own home! He wouldn’t get snappy and impatient on Sunday mornings when he offers to get up with the kids because his hardworking wife needs a lie in. He’d be considerate and ask which tv programme his wife wants to watch instead of hiding the remote. I’m still looking for the modern man, as are all of my friends and if anyone finds one please please notify the media, we may be able to clone him for future generations!

1 comment:

  1. I think that the closest anyone is going to get to the modern man is a wax figure of one. I like your blog.

    ReplyDelete