Saturday 28 February 2009

The compromise

They say it's all about compromise, give and take - a bit of flexibility goes a long way, blah blah blah! Compromise only works when both parties are prepared to give a little. Today we found ourselves unexpectedly in a free situation, our daughter has gone to stay with some friends for the weekend. It left us in a dilemma, we should do something together - these opportunities rarely happen and so we should enjoy the freedom. So we start to discuss the possibilities, it's a brainstorming session, no pressure, all ideas welcome. You get my drift. My thinking is, we live miles from the city so if we go out for drinks it's a trek home not to mention the ridiculous cost of taxi fare etc. If one of us was going to offer to drive it would be me - and to be honest trailing around the kind of pubs he likes would be my idea of hell... compromise, compromise. So I suggest going to the theatre, we look at what's on, nothing he fancies. I suggest going to the cinema, and refrain from picking the film (even though there are at least three films I would love to see but I'm compromising). Nothing he wants to see. I suggest going out for the day, but apparently taking a day trip is something only pensioners do so that idea is banished too. I'm rapidly running out of suggestions and we're no further on in deciding what to do. Idea's from his camp are decidedly sparse, so far everything I've brought to the table is provoking a scowl. The only thing he suggested was meeting my dad for drinks.... hello we have time to just be a couple and it's the first saturday night we've been in a position to go out for months and you want to spend it with my dad! What gives?? Eventually I trundle off to bed, taking my pensioner mind set and droopy ass with me. I'm lying there feeling slightly wounded at the pensioner comment and thinking about how even my best compromising skills have failed. Yet again. And then it hits me.... something fun and interesting, something we don't do often (no it's not sex)....Ice Skating. So I leap out of bed and shout down the stairs "We could go Ice Skating". There is a moment of silence... and then "Erm, yeah we could do". So that is it, no more debates, let's see what he is made of. Ice Skating.. lets see how much fun you can take when your big old ass hits that rink!

3 comments:

  1. I feel like that with my boyfriend too. He is such a homebody and to get him out of the house takes an act of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ice skating sounds great (I am slightly addicted to Dancing on ice at the moment!) ~ hope you had fun
    love and hugs XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. ouch my ass hurts just thinking about all the falling i do!

    ReplyDelete