Sunday 22 February 2009

To wax or not to wax that is the question?

Personally, I am considering an industrial lawnmower as I’m unfortunately one of those people who can rapidly become overgrown and wild within a relatively short amount of time. The first time I realised that women were supposed to tend to their lady locks I was in a bar when I was about 18. I was eavesdropping on a conversation between two blokes. One of them was describing what a nightmare he was having with his girlfriend, apparently she was beautiful, but his problem was with her very overgrown muff! I was mortified, prior to this I thought what you got in terms of lady gardens was non negotiable. I could feel myself blushing imagining my own boyfriend having the exact conversation in a pub across town with one of his friends! Since then it's been the bain of my life and I’ve tried everything from shaving, trimming, hair removal creams and waxing. I’m ashamed to admit that my quest for a neat and tidy lady garden has taken me to some extreme lengths in the past. Emergency jobs have included an incident where I had no hair removal kit and was forced to use a pair of wallpaper scissors. Ok not forced to but after a couple of glasses of wine thought it was a good idea . Please don’t try this at home as it resulted in injury but luckily I escaped with minor cuts and didn’t need stitches! Another mortifying occasion was on holiday with my long suffering other half. We were planning a romantic night in, he’d popped out for a takeaway and I thought this the ideal chance to try out a new hair removal cream. I applied it carefully and waited the ten minutes for it to take effect. I popped myself in the shower when I sensed a burning sensation downstairs. I nervously looked down to find my bits had swollen beyond recognition. I gingerly wrapped myself in a towel and frantically searched the apartment for some kind of cold compress, the ice box was empty and I was contemplating calling reception for an ice pack when I spotted the two cans of cola sitting in the fridge. You can imagine the horror of my poor bloke when he returned back to find me lying on the sofa with two cans of cola between my legs. It wasn’t my finest moment, needless to say.
So you can see I just don’t feel that attractive with an unruly mop of hair poking out the sides of my knickers. My first experience of taming the beast (so to speak) was a waxing appointment, I had never had any kind of wax before so I had no idea what I was letting myself in for. The salon wasn’t exactly great, they didn’t advise me to trim down there first and bearing in mind I’d never even had a trim in my life it would have been less painful and decidedly less embarrassing, the poor girl had to use strips that were at least six feet long!
I came out very sore and not much better off. I decided that waxing wasn’t for me and tried to keep things under control myself for the next couple of years. It all came back to haunt me when after talking with my girlfriends one of them mentioned that her boyfriend had commented that she had bottom hair. I was horrified, not ever a place I looked myself but to think that I could be inflicting such a terror on someone else struck fear in me. I decided to bite the bullet and went with a therapist that I’d heard was really good. I made the appointment, and arrived to find there was no swanky salon, it was based above a newsagent and next to the tattoo parlour. With trepidation I climbed the stairs and was pleasantly surprised to find a small but spotlessly clean salon, they didn’t have rooms, just cubicles separated by curtains. The therapist introduced herself as Sarah, she was in her forties and immediately broke the ice by telling me she’d done this job for years and had seen more lady gardens than I’d had hot dinners so I wasn’t to feel embarrassed. She explained that there is a variety of options available for waxing, she went through each one to ensure I knew exactly what they entailed and what this would look like. The waxing wasn’t half as painful as I expected, but I think this was mainly down to the fact that Sarah was an absolute professional, she also had a streak of the perfectionist which meant no rogue hair was permitted to stay in a place it shouldn’t! It was quick, fairly painless and most of all I left looking great and feeling fantastic. I’ve never looked back, so my message to all you woman battling with excess hair, find a fabulous professional like mine! And don’t tell everyone when you do – otherwise you’ll never get an appointment!

1 comment:

  1. Good idea! I need to find one. Otherwise one of these days I am going to run out of water because of being in the shower for too long.

    ReplyDelete