Sunday 1 March 2009

Secret Keeper

Most of us have at least one person in our life who we know we can trust. We’d probably go to them in a crisis and confide our problems in them. But what if you’re the one everyone goes to in a crisis? What if you’re the one who is carrying everyone else’s secrets, they say knowledge is power but I say knowledge can sometimes be a burden. The world is full of secrets, so that must mean that the world is full of secret keepers. Secrets come in all shapes and sizes so you’d think the life of a secret keeper would be fun and exciting. Secrets can be wonderful things, the surprise birthday party, the engagement proposal, and it’s lovely to think that everyone is confiding in you, that they trust you enough to share their secrets with. But being a secret keeper is a double sided coin, what if the secret isn’t wonderful. What if someone told you a secret you wish you didn’t know. What if the consequences of the secret being exposed would hurt people. That’s the thing with secret keeping, you sometimes know things you’d rather not. Personally, my biggest secret keeper bug bear is affairs, particularly if it involves people I know. That’s the problem with secrets, you don’t know what someone is going to confide in you until they’ve said it – and then it’s too late. Some would say that type of knowledge means you have an obligation to do something about it, try to intervene. Rightly, or wrongly my stance would be to discourage of course but it’s not my life and not my business. The consequences of interference could be devastating.
So you see, secret keeping is not all it’s cracked up to be, yes we may know all the gossip, we may know more than you – but we probably know things you’d be glad you don’t.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more!
    There are secrets that I have been told that I have kept for years!
    Sometimes I too wish that I had never been told things ~ life is so hard at times!!
    Love and hugs Tabitha XXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow this is an amazing post. I love it.

    I'm that person. And you are right. Sometimes it is so so hard to keep peoples secrets. To not tell the other person being hurt. Ugggg. Either way beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete