Tuesday 10 March 2009

Easy Street

Is it me or do the men just seem to get an unbelieveably easy deal? Returning home after work one day, I found my other half asleep on the sofa, legs hanging over the arm, cushions all bent and squashed. The noise of my arrival barely disturbing his obviously blissful sleep. Looking around, I could see everything exactly as I left it. This man had spent the entire day doing absolutely nothing. The bed hadn't been made (despite him being the last one out of it), his breakfast and lunch dishes were left in the sink with the remnants cementing on the plates. The butter was out on the worktop, along with the milk and the jam. Our neighbours probably thought we'd had a death in the family, what with all the curtains having remained closed for most of the day. When I enquired (through gritted teeth) what he had been doing all day he informed me, cheerfully that he had done nothing as "it's my day off". I could have launched him through the cloaked windows of my messy house! I fought with myself in a bid to keep calm and asked if he knew when my day off was. He gave me a look that said oh crap I've done it now. Taking this opportunity to exercise my vocal chords I answered my own question with "NEVER". My days off departed as quickly as my youth the moment I became a mother. Apparently though, I could have a day off whenever I like. When asked who would do my jobs whilst I'm enjoying day off I get the blank look again. Oh, so you're not offering to help out so that I can actually benefit from the day off then? No, it seems that the only suggestion coming my way is "Leave it" and seemingly do it tomorrow when you have twice as much to do, in twice as less time! Of course, I don't expect these mere mortals to perfect, but sometimes, just sometimes it would be nice to know that when you come home they have had the forethought to make the bed, pick up their dirty clothes, wash their own dishes and I know it's pushing the boat out - but shock, horror ...put a casserole in the oven! I live in hope and a bit of desperation!

No comments:

Post a Comment